Workforce Incentive Program Rural Advanced Skills Stream
About the Program
The Workforce incentive Program (WIP) Rural Advanced Skills payment aims to support access to health care in rural and remote communities (MM 3-7 locations) by providing additional annual incentive payments to GPs working in primary care and using advanced skills in a range of other settings.
This Rural Advanced Skill payment adds to the incentives offered through the WIP Doctor Stream and the WIP Practice Stream.
Payments will commence from 1 January 2024, recognising services delivered between 1 January 2023 and 31 December 2025. GPs may be eligible for up to three payments for services during 2023, 2024 and 2025.
To be eligible for WIP – Rural Advanced Skills payment, GPs must:
- provide MBS rebatable primary care services in a MM 3-7 location;
- meet minimum service thresholds for the relevant streams;
- have supporting documentation to substantiate their application; and
- register their individual bank account details with Services Australia.
A GP could earn up to $21,000 in a year in additional incentive payments in recognition of their work both in primary care and in community and/or hospital settings. The incentive payments are based on rurality, the number of advanced skills delivered, and service thresholds for general practice services.
The new payments consist of two separate payment streams:
- Stream 1: Emergency Medicine – for doctors providing a minimum level of emergency care
- Stream 2: Advanced Skills – for doctors who hold recognised qualifications in advanced skills
Eligible doctors and Rural Generalists are able to claim from $4,000 up to $10,500 per annum (per stream) for one or both payment streams.
Please click the relevant links to submit your application
For further information on the Workforce Incentive Program Rural Advanced Skills Stream, refer to https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/workforce-incentive-program/workforce-incentive-program-rural-advanced-skills-stream or contact RWAV on 03 9349 7800.