Workforce Incentive Program Doctor Stream
Changes to the Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) – Doctor Stream from 1 January 2024 for non-vocationally registered doctors
As of 1 January 2024, the payment that non-vocationally registered doctors who are not on an approved training pathway will receive, will be 80% of the value of WIP – Doctor Stream payments. The value of payments will range between $3,600 and $48,000, depending on a doctor’s activity levels, location and duration of active services within the program.
About the Program
The Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) Doctor Stream promotes careers in rural medicine by giving doctors financial incentives to practise in regional, rural and remote communities by providing direct payments to doctors who deliver eligible services in eligible locations.
Services Australia uses two payment systems to handle Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) Doctor Stream payments. Some doctors may provide services under both payment systems.
- Central Payment System (CPS). Most doctors are paid automatically through the CPS. You do not need to apply to be paid through the CPS. Services Australia automatically calculates what is due to you based on your eligible MBS billing records in eligible locations.
For further information on the CPS refer to https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/workforce-incentive-program/doctor-stream/payment-systems#central-payment-system
Note that RWAV does not have any involvement with the Central Payment System. For CPS enquiries please contact the Department of Health and Aged Care.
- Flexible Payment System (FPS). You need to apply under the FPS if some or all of your activity is not reflected in MBS records. This happens if you provide eligible non-MBS services, and/or undertake general practice (GP) training (under approved training pathways). If you have received a payment under the CPS, you can apply for a ‘top-up’ payment under the FPS if you fit into the eligibility criteria.
The following information is relevant to the Flexible Payment System (FPS)
For doctors to receive incentive payments, they must provide eligible services in eligible MM locations as per the Health Workforce Locator.
To be eligible for the Doctor Stream, you must:
- provide a minimum amount of eligible primary care services or undertake eligible General Practitioner (GP) or Rural Generalist training under an approved training pathway in MM 3 to 7 locations
- meet the required number of active quarters for payment
- have an eligible current Medicare provider number, and
- have provided current bank account details to Services Australia specifically for the WIP Doctor Stream through the Health Professional Online Service (HPOS).
Eligible primary care services are listed as clinical services from the following sections of the MBS:
- Category 1: Professional attendances
- Category 2: Diagnostic procedures and investigations
- Category 3: Therapeutic procedures
- Category 7: Cleft lip and cleft palate services
You can receive incentive payments of between $3,600 and $60,000 per year, depending on activity levels, location, and how long you have been part of the program.
To apply for payment, use the FPS application form which contains detailed guidance.
Email your FPS payment application to RWAV at email@example.com or to the state or territory where you provided most services over the application period.
For further information on the Workforce Incentive Program Doctor Stream FPS, refer to https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/workforce-incentive-program/doctor-stream or contact RWAV on 03 9349 7800.